Meeting of the Commission of Fine Arts
21 May 2009
10:00 A.M. CONVENE, Suite 311, 401 F Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001-2728
A. Approval of minutes:
B. Dates of next meetings:
C. The Commission's 99th year: established 17 May 1910 and the Shipstead-Luce Act's 79th year: approved 16 May 1930.
D. Report on the 2009 National Capital Arts and Cultural Affairs Program.
E. Report on the approval of one object proposed of acquisition by the Freer Gallery.
F. Confirmation of seven recommendations from the April 2009 meeting after the loss of a quorum:
CFA 16/APR/09-c, Smithsonian Institution. National Museum of American History, Kenneth E. Behring Center. 14th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW, Garage infill. Final.
CFA 16/APR/09-3, 2010 Native American One Dollar Coins. Five designs for reverse. Final.
CFA 16/APR/09-5, St. Elizabeths Hospital. West Campus, 2700 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, SE. New headquarters building for the Department of Homeland Security, United States Coast Guard. Concept.
CFA 16/APR/09-6, Columbus Plaza at Union Station, Massachusetts Avenue between North Capitol Street and Second Street, NE. Revisions to plaza to improve vehicular and pedestrian access and circulation. Final.
CFA 16/APR/09-7, Naval Research Laboratory, Cooley Avenue, SW. Autonomous System Research Laboratory. New two-story laboratory building. Concept/Final.
CFA 16/APR/09-9, Stoddert Elementary School, 4001 Calvert Street, NW. Building additions, renovation and landscaping. Final.
CFA 16/APR/09-10, Columbia Heights Streetscape Project - Public Art. 14th Street and Park Road, NW. Installation of mosaic medallions. Revised design/Final.
G. Report on site inspection of mock-ups of new pedestrian guide signs proposed for the National Mall and Memorial Parks.
II. Submissions and Reviews
Appendix I - Direct Submission Consent Calendar
Appendix II - Shipstead-Luce Act Submissions
Appendix III - Old Georgetown Act Submissions
B. National Park Service
1. CFA 21/MAY/09-1, National Mall and Memorial Parks. Pedestrian Guide Sign Program. Designs for new sign types. Revised concept. (Previous: CFA 19/FEB/09-2)
2. CFA 21/MAY/09-2, American Veterans Disabled for Life Memorial, Square 580, Washington Avenue (Canal Street), 2nd and C Streets, SW. Revised concept. (Previous: CFA 17/JUL/08-2)
C. Department of the Treasury / U.S. Mint
1. CFA 21/MAY/09-3, American Veterans Disabled for Life Commemorative One Dollar Silver Coin. Nine obverse and five reverse designs. Final.
2. CFA 21/MAY/09-4, Abraham Lincoln One-Cent Coin Redesign Program for 2010. 17 designs for reverse. Revised submission - Final. (Previous: CFA 16/APR/09-4)
E. Smithsonian Institution
CFA 21/MAY/09-5, National Zoological Park. Seal and Sea Lion Support Facility, site renewal, and associated holding facility at the veterinarian hospital facility. Final. (Previous: CFA 20/NOV/08-12)
F. U.S. Department of Education
CFA 21/MAY/09-6, Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Building, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW. Installation of perforated vinyl film with enlarged photographs of children in 44 windows on the ground floor between the entrance doors. Concept/Final.
G. Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
CFA 21/MAY/09-7, Farragut North Metro Station. South entrance, corner of K Street and Connecticut Avenue, NW. Art installation. Concept.
H. District of Columbia Public Library
1. CFA 21/MAY/09-8, Washington Highlands Neighborhood Library, 115 Atlantic Street, SW. New replacement building. Revised concept. (Previous: CFA 19/FEB/09-9)
2. CFA 21/MAY/09-9, Francis A. Gregory Neighborhood Library, 3660 Alabama Avenue, SE. New replacement building. Concept.
Last Modified: June 2, 2009