Meeting of the Commission of Fine Arts
19 September 2013
9:00 A.M. CONVENE, Suite 312, 401 F Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001–2728
A. Approval of minutes:
B. Dates of next meetings:
C. Confirmation of recommendations from the July 2013 meeting due to the loss of a quorum:
CFA 18/JUL/13–2, National Museum of African American History and Culture, 14th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW. Revised landscape design. Final. (Previous: CFA 18/APR/13–2)
CFA 18/JUL/13–4, Woodridge Neighborhood Library, 1801 Hamlin Street, NE (at the intersection of Rhode Island Avenue and 18th Street). New replacement building. Revised concept. (Previous: CFA 16/MAY/13–2)
D. Report on the Secretary's site inspection of the exterior materials for the National Museum of African American History and Culture.
E. Report on Teresita Fernández's presentation of her work, "Bamboo Cinema, Blind Landscape, and Stacked Waters" as part of the Clarice Smith Distinguished Lectures in American Art at the Smithsonian American Art Museum/National Portrait Gallery on Wednesday, September 18th.
II. Submissions and Reviews
Appendix I – Direct Submission Consent Calendar
Appendix II – Shipstead–Luce Act Submissions
Appendix III – Old Georgetown Act Submissions
B. National Park Service
CFA 19/SEP/13–1, Jefferson Memorial, East Basin Drive, SW. Perimeter vehicular security barrier. Revised concept. (Previous: CFA 20/JUN/13–2)
C. Smithsonian Institution
1. CFA 19/SEP/13–2, National Museum of African American History and Culture, 14th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW. Exterior material selections and south water feature. Final. (Previous: CFA 18/JUL/13–2)
2. CFA 19/SEP/13–3, National Museum of the American Indian, 3rd Street and Maryland Avenue, SW. Sign program. Concept. (Previous: CFA 21/FEB/13–1, new access ramp and stair)
D. Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
1. CFA 19/SEP/13–4, Union Station Metro Station, 1st Street, NE. Enlarged entranceway with new ramp, stair, and canopy. Concept. (Previous: CFA 16/MAY/13–1)
2. CFA 19/SEP/13–5, Flood protection project, various locations in Federal Triangle and the National Mall. Modifications to vent shafts for flood protection. Concept. (Previous: CFA 20/JUN/13–5)
E. District of Columbia Department of Transportation
CFA 19/SEP/13–6, Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge and South Capitol Street Corridor from I–295/Suitland Parkway Interchange to P Street. South Capitol Street at the Anacostia River. Replacement bridge and reconstruction of the approaches (Segments 1 and 2). Concept.
F. District of Columbia Department of General Services
1. CFA 19/SEP/13–7, D.C. Preparatory Academy Public Charter School (former Benning Elementary School), 100 41st Street, NE. Building rehabilitation and addition. Final.
2. CFA 19/SEP/13–8, Brookland Middle School, 1150 Michigan Avenue, NE. Replacement school building. Concept. (Previous: CFA 18/JUL/13–5)
G. District of Columbia Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs
Old Georgetown Act
OG 13–307, Georgetown University, 3700 O Street, NW. New athletic training facility. Concept. (Previous: OG 12–291, October 2012)
SL 13–126, Watergate, 600 New Hampshire Avenue, NW. New outdoor dining and bar areas and bocce court. Concept. (Previous: SL 13–106, July 2013–SL Appendix)
Last Modified: September 30, 2013