Charles Louis Borie Jr., FAIA, studied civil engineering at the University of Pennsylvania in the early 1890s and worked for several years in banking. By 1905 he had formed an architectural practice in Philadelphia with Clarence Zantzinger; Milton Medary joined the partnership in 1910. The firm’s projects include the Philadelphia Museum of Art with Horace Trumbauer, hospitals, educational buildings, and other public projects in the classical vocabulary. Perhaps the most notable of the firm’s work was the Department of Justice building in Washington, D.C., which was part of the Federal Triangle redevelopment. Borie’s affiliations included the Council of the American Academy in Rome and the Smithsonian Gallery of Art Commission; he was elected to the National Institute of Arts and Letters and the American Academy of Arts and Letters. During the Great Depression he also served as an advisor to the Philadelphia Housing Authority.