Gertrude Elizabeth Sawyer, AIA, earned a bachelor's degree in landscape architecture at the University of Illinois and a master of architecture in 1919 from the Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Design for Women. She worked in Washington, D.C., as a designer in the office of Horace Peaslee from the 1920s to early the 1930s before establishing her own architectural practice in Georgetown, where she remained active until her retirement in 1969. Her architectural work was focused on historic restoration and residences for socially prominent clients, often in Colonial, Federal, and Renaissance Revival styles. Her most prominent work is the twenty-six-building Point Farm complex in Calvert County, Maryland, which includes a Colonial Revival main house and outbuildings, now a park and museum operated by the State of Maryland.
OGB Service: 1955–1956; 1962–1963