John Lawrence Mauran, FAIA, began his architectural career with the firm Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge in 1890, rising to partner of the St. Louis office. While with that firm, he helped design the Art Institute of Chicago and the Chicago Public Library. In 1900 Mauran opened his own firm, Mauran, Russell & Garden in St. Louis; it became Mauran, Russell & Crowell in 1911. His firm designed numerous buildings throughout the Midwest, but was most well known for its buildings in St. Louis, among them the Federal Reserve Bank, Union Market, the St. Louis Globe-Democrat Building, and the Federal Courts Building. Mauran studied at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) from 1885 to 1889, then traveled and studied in Europe until 1890; he later taught at MIT. He was active in many civic and professional organizations and he served as president of the American Institute of Architects and president and secretary of the St. Louis chapter. He was also a member of the Council of Fine Arts, the predecessor to the Commission of Fine Arts.
CFA Service: 1930–1933; Vice Chairman 1933