William Mitchell Kendall, FAIA, spent his architectural career with the New York firm McKim, Mead & White from 1882 until his death in 1941. Kendall’s work exemplified the Beaux-Arts principles for which the firm was known, which included Madison Square Garden, the Morgan Library, the Washington Arch, and the Main Post Office, all in New York City; Arlington Memorial Bridge and the restoration of St. John’s Church, both in Washington, D.C.; the American Academy in Rome; Harvard University School of Business; and the Plymouth Rock Memorial. He received his undergraduate degree from Harvard University in 1876, studied at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology from 1876 to 1878, and completed a year of travel and study in France and Italy. He was a member of the Committee for Beautification of Permanent American Military Cemeteries in France and England and designed war memorials at several of the cemeteries. Kendall was a member of the National Institute of Arts and Letters and elected to the American Academy of Arts and Letters; served as a trustee of the American Academy in Rome; was a member of the National Academy and the Society of Mayflower Descendents; and served on the 1934 Prix de Rome jury with Louis Ayres and John Russell Pope. He was honored with a merit award from the New York Chapter of the American Institute of Architects in 1929.
CFA Service: 1916–1921