Jackson Place, NW, (Lafayette Square)
Dear Ms. Malinick:
During its last meeting of 15 September, the Commission of Fine Arts reviewed the concept design for the exterior renovations and additions to the Stephen Decatur House Museum, located at 748 Jackson Place, NW, approving the design with the exception of the proposed perpendicular blade-type banner on the rear wing of the building. Along with the new signs, banners, and sidewalk improvements, the new canopy above the door in the annex building should increase the visibility of the museum’s public entrance. In addition, the Commission members suggested that, if possible, the brick sidewalk could be extended the along full length of the building complex facing H Street from Jackson Place westward in order to strengthen the connection with Lafayette Square.
Please submit construction documents for final review when ready. As always, the Commission staff is available should you require further guidance.
/s/Thomas Luebke, AIA
Cynthia Malinick, Executive Director
Stephen Decatur House Museum
1610 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006
cc: Thomas Striegel, Davis Buckley Architects