A complete permit review submission includes:
- Application and Referral to the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts for Shipstead-Luce Review: a D.C.-required form for the provision of basic project information and applicant contact information. Information must be complete and legible and must include the DOB permit application number. The applicants for whom complete contact information is provided will receive a copy of the CFA recommendation upon completion of the review.
- Comprehensive digital photographs of the property, including the area of proposed work, views from the street and the public alley (if applicable), and contextual photos with adjacent structures clearly identified.
- Construction Drawings: complete, accurate, legible, and scaled digital drawings. It is essential that notes and dimensions be accurate and legible. Required drawings include, but are not limited to:
- site plan, indicating footprint of adjacent or neighboring structures, significant features, fence lines, major trees or plantings, and property lines
- complete floor plans and elevations showing existing conditions
- complete floor plans and elevations showing proposed work
- section drawings, contour plans, and landscape plans
- construction details, including walls, roof, windows, and doors
- drawings of full building facades indicating any awnings and signs, with construction details (if applicable)
- drawings indicating location, height, and style of any fences, with construction details (if applicable)
- drawings of full building facades indicating any exterior mechanical equipment (if applicable)
- samples of all exterior materials (may be delivered directly to the CFA office)
- three-dimensional renderings may be included but are not required
- physical models may be included but are not required (may be delivered directly to the CFA office)
Presentations to CFA
After the submission is received from DOB, CFA staff may determine that the project requires review by the Commission of Fine Arts in its public meeting. If notified by CFA staff that a public review will be required, the applicant must forward additional materials:
- A digital project booklet (11x17 inch format, PDF preferred) for distribution to the members of the Commission in advance of the meeting. The booklet should describe the project scope, program, and goals and include the same drawings and photographs required above.
- A digital presentation file that includes, but is not limited to, the graphic information provided in the project booklet, for presentation in the Commission of Fine Arts meeting.
- Physical scale models or massing models, as appropriate, especially for complex building forms or sites, for presentation in the Commission of Fine Arts meeting. Photographs of the models should be included in the project booklet.
- Samples of all exterior materials and finishes.