A complete permit review submission includes:
- Application and Referral to the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts for Shipstead-Luce Review (available at the DCRA Permit Service Center): a D.C.-required form for the provision of basic project information and applicant contact information. Information must be complete and legible.
- Construction Permit Application (available at the DCRA Permit Service Center): a 9-page form to apply for a construction permit. Applicants must include a printed copy of this form with the submission package. Information must be complete and legible. The applicants for whom complete contact information is provided will receive copies of the CFA recommendation upon completion of the review. If the permit application form is not available, include a copy of the DCRA permit cover sheet instead.
- Comprehensive photographs of the property (two sets), including the area of proposed work, views from the street and the public alley (if applicable), and contextual photos with adjacent structures clearly identified. Photos can be of any legible size and format.
Construction Drawings: complete, accurate, legible, and scaled drawings (two sets if the project is also submitted to DCRA online; five sets if not). It is essential that notes and dimensions be accurate and legible. One of the required sets will be retained for the CFA file; this set may be half-size. Required drawings include, but are not limited to:
- site plan, indicating footprint of adjacent or neighboring structures, significant features, fence lines, major trees or plantings, and property lines
- complete floor plans and elevations showing existing conditions
- complete floor plans and elevations showing proposed work
- section drawings, contour plans, and landscape plans
- construction details, including walls, roof, windows, and doors
- drawings of full building facades indicating any awnings and signs, with construction details (if applicable)
- drawings indicating location, height, and style of any fences, with construction details (if applicable)
- drawings of full building facades indicating any exterior mechanical equipment (if applicable)
- samples of all exterior materials (may be delivered directly to the CFA office)
- three-dimensional renderings may be included but are not required
- physical models may be included but are not required (may be delivered directly to the CFA office)
Presentations to CFA
After the submission is received from DCRA, CFA staff may determine that the project requires review by the Commission of Fine Arts in its public meeting. If notified by CFA staff that a public review will be required, the applicant must forward additional materials:
- A project booklet (10 copies, 11x17 inch or 8 1/2x11 inch format) for distribution to the members of the Commission in advance of the meeting. The booklet should describe the project scope, program, and goals and include the same drawings and photographs required above. The booklet should also be provided in digital format (PDF preferred).
- A digital presentation file or set of presentation boards that includes, but is not limited to, the graphic information provided in the project booklet, for presentation in the Commission of Fine Arts meeting.
- Physical scale models or massing models, as appropriate, especially for complex building forms or sites, for presentation in the Commission of Fine Arts meeting. Photographs of the models should be included in the project booklet.
- Samples of all exterior materials and finishes.